Thursday 1 December 2011

Colonoscopy THE RESULTS !!!

A week or so after my first colonoscopy me and Naz received a letter to see Dr Klass regarding the results.
The meeting with him seemed to pass very quickly and everything he said to us seemed to be very hard to take in and we left feeling we didn't really understand what everything meant.
Dr Klass basically said that small parts of my bowel and colon were showing inflamtion and this would be the reason why when I used the toilet there were drops of blood as sometimes the inflamation could lead to bleeding in the bowel. I think alot of what he was telling us seemed to be lost in translation but he did tell us that from the biopsy results it was his opinion I had Ulcerative Colitis. He went on to say that there wasn't really a cure but that it could be controlled with drugs that would include steroids and anti-inflammatory. Like I say alot of what was said was very hard to take in as I had not until this point in my life (36 yrs old) suffered from any poor health even catching colds or coughs and the usual run of the mill ailments.
The thing that stunned us both were the words long term he may have to have is bowel removed !!

So it was with these words whizzing round in our heads we left the hospital for the 15 minute walk home, its strange that although it was 10yrs ago I remember the weather was a lovely sunny but cool afternoon.
We didn't speak much as I think we were both in a little bit of shock and I know that I felt this can't be right as I was feeling in quite good health at the time.
Before we went home we called into the pharmacy with the prescription that Dr Klass gave us for Messalazine(asacol) and Prednisolone (steroid).
Still find it very strange that I had gone through 35yrs of my life with any ailments of note and now I was told of something that would affect the rest of my life.
Also that there was no cure and that they didn't really have any idea what causes Ulcerative Colitis.
All I knew was that from this day forward I was going to be taking medication long term.

No comments:

Post a Comment