Sunday 11 December 2011

Should I stay or should I go ?

So slowly but surely Ulcerative Colitis started to have an affect on my everyday life at home and work. The first time it really troubled me was while I was at work in 2001 while I was working as customer service Assistant at Victoria station in manchester. I used to work on platforms 4 and 5 right in the centre of the station, the problem with this was that our staff room was on platform 3 which meant if I needed to use the toilet I had to go upstairs, across a bridge, then downstairs and along platform 3; then punch a secure code to access the staffroom altogether about a 3-4 minute walk. On numerous occasions I would get this horrible feeling, that I needed the toilet and that I wouldn't make it over to p3 in time. A really horrible scary feeling. Then sometimes I would race over to the toilet evading people who would try to ask questions about there trains, quickly punch the security code in run into the toilet pull down my pants sit down AND THEN........................................NOTHING.

Why, why was I feeling like this,it's really like your body playing tricks on you its awful. I would then make my way back to p4-5 and wait worrying when my next cramps would start; as this could happen 3 or 4 times a day.
Maybe a year or so after my diagnosis the fatigue started to kick in, feeling really tired and sometimes struggling to get up for work.
Sometimes my stomach felt as though it was jumping around it was a weird and unatural feeling. After I told my GP he prescribed a drug called Mebeverine. Which if my memory has improved since the transplant is an anti spasmodic treatment. I took this for a number of months and it did seem to work as far as the stomach spasms went.
I was still having colonoscopys every 6 months to see how the UC was, thankfully the drugs were keeping it under control, this was always a big relief to me as my big fear was that I may have to have my bowel removed.
Little did I know that UC is quite a big factor in people who go on to develop PSC. I remeber time and time again one word would spin in my head after bouts of feeling poorly............. WHY?.
Paul Spencer 11.12.11

No comments:

Post a Comment