Tuesday 22 November 2011

Weekly out patients out patient (every Tuesday)

Tuesday 8th November 2011

We have to attend Leeds every Tuesday for the next three months, this was our first appointment. We decided to take the train, Paul met alot of his colleagues and friends at the station. They were all taken back at how well he was looking. One of his bosses was overwhelmed , bless her, it was so lovely to see that my Skip is missed and thought of so much.

We arrived at Leeds and were greeted by our favourite Secretary Karen, she's a star and is fantastic at her job, always makes us feel at ease. We then met Claire one of the Transplant nurses, shes lovely too, feel so at ease with her, they all are incredible. We then met one of the Surgeons and he was happy with Paul's progress and told him to reduce his predisonole(steriod)  to 15mg he was originally on 20mg. He had a look at  Paul's abdomen and said that it was healing well and that one of the nurses would remove the remaining staples. Claire took out the staples and asked Paul if he wanted to keep any, Paul said he didn't but he knows somebody that will, I'm sad I know, but I have kept all his name bands. She also told us a little about our Donor, it was very emotional, god bless him and all his family. We're going to write a letter to the family., that is going to be so hard, emotional and heartbreaking.

We said our goodbyes to the team, they have become like family, Paul can't take his Tacrolimus (Prograf) on the day of clinic till he has seen the Dr and has had his bloods taken. We were on our way to the bloods department the queue was horrendous so we thought we would take a ticket and grab a coffee. We sat down and were enjoying our coffee. Paul hadn't taken any of his medicines this morning so he asked if  I would give him his medicines. I gave him his medicines total of 31, as he took the Tacrolimus I remember putting my hand over my mouth. Paul looked stunned he said whats wrong ,I couldn't speak at first, then I replied " I don't believe it I have just given you your Tac and you haven't had your blood test. I haven't seen him move so fast, he said " don't worry I will go and get my bloods done now". He went upstairs to see one of the Phlebotomist and explained what had happened, He was fine about it and took Paul's blood and said to go and let the Transplant nurses know what had happened.

Paul went to see Claire, she said it was okay and that he did the right thing, she couldn't stop laughing. I was relieved. I'm going to make sure, that next week he takes all his other tablets at home and take the Tacrolimus after blood test.

We went to say hello and drop some presents of to the staff on ward 83, ICU and Dr Davies. It was lovely to see everyone and they were very pleased to see that Paul is making good progress. It sounds bizarre but we enjoyed our day, it feels like we have extended family.Even made friends with Adele who works in the newsagents in the hospital, shes got a lovely personality.

As we got home our Grandson was here perfect end to a happy day. Paul is doing really well.

No comments:

Post a Comment